Keeping Up with the MacLachlans

Welcome to Amy's blog. Hopefully this will help me stay in touch with my friends and family who live far away. Enjoy!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canada

We are: Joe MacLachlan and Amy MacLachlan (Sedlezky).

Friday, October 13, 2006

Home from India

By now most of you know that I arrived home safe and sound from India a week ago Sunday. The trip was hot, tiring and very interesting. The people were friendly, the food was good (although I was thankful for the gift of toast and coffee each morning that restaurants have caught onto and are calling "The American breakfast", realizing that most westerners would rather not eat curried chick peas, spiced goat, and soupy dal first thing in the morning), and the countryside was beautiful.

I saw people riding elephants along city streets, monkeys loitering in trees, camels pulling heavily-laiden carts, cute little lizards zipping in and out from behind wall hangings to catch a cricket or other tasty insect, five people riding a Honda motorcycle on busy downtown streets (I'm serious - picture a small child riding infront of the handlebars, then the dad driving, then another child behind him, then mom sitting on the back sideways b/c she's wearing a sari and holding a newborn in her left arm), women and girls carrying water jugs, pots and just about anything else on their heads, cows sleeping in the middle of the highway, dead dogs splattered on the street just like our raccoon or squirrel roadkill, row upon row of fruit and vegetable carts, huge piles of grains and beans in small shops, and mounds of vibrantly coloured spices sold by sari-dressed women in various town bazaars, stinking slums, gated mansions, creeping flowers and tangled vines, towering palm trees, garbage-strewn rivers, insane traffic, beautiful women, TV commercials for skin-whitening procedures, candy shops and childrens' rides, sandy beaches, the towering, awe-inspiring Taj Mahal, cell phones, business men on airplanes, homeless men sleeping in parks, dazzling new shopping malls beside tar paper shacks, Hindus dancing before their gods after dark at one of their many festivals, temples and churches, universities and hospitals, wealth and poverty...the list could go on and on.

Suffice it to say that India is a complex, paradoxical, interesting place. Some of it is noisy, smelly and busy, while other parts are calm, peaceful and smell of freshly cut hay. I have a zillion pictures to share, but I'd better only post a few of my favourites. Enjoy!

Until next time (which, let's be honest, might not be for a long time),
A.













3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still can't get over it - 5 people on a motorcycle!

Next time you go on an international trip I'm coming with. I'm sure your work would pay for it if we sell it right. For example I could tell them I am an accomplished outdoorsmen/explorer and I fluently speak Swahili and therefore must accompany you on an African Lion Safari in Kenya.

10:30 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Val: India--and just about every other far away land--is definitely worth seeing! I'm afraid of bugs and all that crazy tropical stuff too, but what can you do? It's not worth not going just b/c of things that "might" happen.
And yes, my job is pretty great. Being a writer for a church magazine definitely affords me opportunities I never thought I'd have!
A.

4:38 PM  
Blogger Kyle Hutchinson said...

Sounds like quite the experience. And I know what you mean about the multiple people on a bike. A few years ago, I travelled to the Dominican Republic. This is where I witnessed three people on a scooter. The driver carrying a large rolled up rug on the handle bars, which was clearly longer and larger than what should've been on the front. The second passenger; two spare tires (which I think were for another scooter) and the third passenger, who was sitting backwards, holding a whole lot of lumber. Oh and did I mention there is no speed limits there and they were travelling a good 85-90 km/h. All the while a large bus on their tail and another large bus that they were tailing. Lets just say, if the bus in front had to stop suddenly, well, I think you know the outcome. Anywho....just thought I'd share. Love the pictures. You're quite the photographer.

1:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home